Thursday 6 March 2014

Health and wellbeing @ work



Just got back from Birmingham NEC where I attended the wellbeing @ work show.
This is the first time I have been to this show and not as manic as the Beauty shows I have worked at or attended over the years. Of course it had its fair share of gimmicky fitness products and posture aiding devises. For me though, it gave a good incite into the world of Wellbeing and
a couple of paths I am very interested in following.
The best part of the show is the many lectures that are given by leading experts in their field. I managed to sit in several, some definitely better speakers than others, but because this is a new
direction for me they were all educational and all helps to widen the mind, which can't be a bad thing.
Professor Dame Carol Black, Expert advisor on Health and work spoke on Well Being in the work place. Getting people back to work after absence ,the ageing population at work and obesity all well being issues that need attention.
Dr Bill Gunnyeon CBE Chief medical advisor, Department for work pensions. Spoke on The Health and Work Service which should come into effect by March 2015 and will be a unified service nationwide which will provide Wellbeing services with national standards.
Dr Sajid Kahn Occupational Health Physician gave a very entertaining talk on trigger points which reassured my knowledge that working on trigger points(Area in muscle that elicits pain) with massage can relieve localised and referred pain, which can in turn can relieve Headaches, Neck pain, shoulder pain, Sciatica, muscle fatigue and aid sleep.
Christopher Packham Dermatological Engineer, EnviroDerm Services. The subject of skin exposure in the work place is a definite interest to me, having worked on skin all my working life I would like to learn a lot more about skin analysis in relation to intolerance, product and exposure.So I found this lecture the most interesting.
I attended several other lectures on Mindfulness and stress and there were many more lectures over 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment